While we wait for the summer produce, there's still plenty of goodness to be had from British vegetables in May. Try them all in this month's recipe!
While we wait for the summer produce, there’s still plenty of goodness to be had from British vegetables in May. We can also still take advantage of the produce from the earlier month’s of the year too. Take a look back on February, March and April’s blogs to remind you of what’s available, why they are so good for us and how you can include them in a meal.
This month’s spotlight produce is all green vegetables and there’s a delicious recipe that combines them all!
May’s green goodness recipe
Warm spring green salad
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium or large onion, sliced
- 2 heads of fennel
- 300g broad beans, out of their pods
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears
- 200g peas
- 250ml of chicken or vegetable stock
- A handful of crushed walnuts and hazelnuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm olive oil in a large pot, on medium heat, and sauté the onion for a few minutes
- Take the head and root off the fennel and cut into wedges. Add to the pan and cook with the onion for a few minutes
- Add the stock and broad beans before bringing it to the boil and letting it simmer for a few minutes
- Add the peas and asparagus and cook until all the vegetables are cooked through and the liquid has absorbed
- Serve and finish with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and a handful of crushed walnuts and hazelnuts. Add a pinch of salt and crushed black pepper to taste